You are browsing the archive for minutes.

Meeting: 2014-09-01

- September 6, 2014 in minutes

PRESENT

  • James Harriman-Smith
  • John Levin
  • Seth Woodward
  • Eric Hellman

AGENDA

  • Project GITenberg

GITENBERG

Reading Material

Presentations

  • Seth: Give overview of where we are (see reading material above)
  • James: PhD student working on ‘reception’ studies, interested in GITenberg as text transmission
  • John: PhD student, likes very large catalogs of text, lit/digital-humanities, wants large groups of text (BALZAC)
  • Eric Hellman: behind unglue.it – license conversion -> collect money -> release openly: when books are free, the book distribution system breaks; even libraries don’t want free books, don’t know how to deal with them or handle them; interested in out-of-copyright books; have been making the store/resource/service for free books; became familiar with PG’s lack; created GitenHub, found GITenberg, joined forces. Believes that the posibilities of version controlled archive, should be the way ebooks should go.

Questions:

  • James: GIRenberg will both allow generation of books (once tools are in place), and allow version control, altering sources of publication. Two sides, but what about peculiarities of text, you need vc to track those things, yet what happens when there is a bad ‘correction’?
    • Seth: Do we want to follow Gutenberg’s policies? They have concept of ‘editionless’ edition, roughly based on a specific printing, but not a precise reproduction… GITenberg might be better seen as creating our own editions, one that could be printed/distributed as a ‘reasonable’ copy
    • Seth: NB: In order to produce ebooks (and even print) it has to go through an intermediate html / CSS step
    • Eric: not just version control, but the forking and merging process too: we can keep multiple branches of the same work, efficiently pull in changes from one branch to another; no reason we couldn’t maintain a branch which is faithful to a given copt from 1915 along with a book that doesn’t have the mistake of ‘with with’

  • James: but what about authority of a fork?
    • Seth: Authority on GitHub is distinguishable, number of followers

  • John: how much of this is transferrable? GITenberg is great, how does it go further? e.g. with the big bunch of 18thc texts released from ECCO database by Gale-Cengage (http://www.textcreationpartnership.org/tcp-ecco/, and http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/)
    • Seth: yes: very extendable, as much as possible

  • Seth: a big issue is the applicability to other texts: yes. Archive.org has become a clearing-house for scanned books, but it has no proof-reading process, and would be a great place to extend GITenberg in the future.

  • Seth: another big question: which formats?

  1. Markdown: NEG: not standardized, no pagination, no footnotes, and can only be improved by making our own bespoke version, which would have to be maintained. POS: Penflip, etc. are using it, so might have scope…
  2. Restructured text: has a spec, is extensible, Distributed Proofreaders use it, but has only one complete implementation in python, urls are clunky, it seems to being sidelined…
  3. TEI: lack of software, doesn’t seem to be a lot of to and fro, big ask
  • Responses:
    • Eric: TEI is probably overkill for everything; you need just enough markup to produce deliverables, like ootnotes, ToC
    • James: further useful questions here: how much support does each format have? Can we test formats?

  • Seth: Another big question: annotations
    • Seth has done work on annotator, cares for textual annotation a great deal. Annotation is the obvious win for a digital book, since such works have infinite margins and can take a variety of forms
    • Demo for some of the more exciting things that can be done: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/demos/detail/html5-audio-read-along/launch. Such projects imply a potential later connection with librivox.
    • This is more of a question for the developers, although the utility of line numbers is already clear

Other Observations

  • Seth: ePub v.3 is very cool, but annotation on ePub readers looks to be very tricky…
  • John: re: Internet Archive OCR: possibility of machine correction of OCR’d text for IA books, but they seem nonplussed. This is the kind of thing that Gitenberg could help with

NEXT STEPS

  • Seth: Publish actionable tasks for more developers
  • Seth: Shift Gitenberg to GitLab
  • Everyone: continue to publicise this project

Meeting: 2014-05-08

- May 9, 2014 in minutes

PRESENT

  • James Harriman-Smith
  • John Levin
  • Lieke Ploeger
  • Iain Emsley
  • Tod Robbins (text only)

AGENDA

Big things

  • Panton Principles for Humanities
  • Progress on Textus
  • OpenGLAM-dev
  • Open Humanities Award

Housekeeping

  • Tasks from last week
  • Next meeting
  • Tasks

Panton Principles for Humanities

  • See ‘#Oxford contact’ below

Progress on Textus

  • Annotations now being pulled through to front end!Texts are being marked up!
  • Github up to date: https://github.com/okfn/textus-wordpress
  • Next task: track down the source of current layout issuses: suspect a javascript conflict causing current problems
  • This taks could be offered to volunteers on OK Labs

Oxford contacts/talk

  • Iain met with OERC director (David de Roure), discussed First Folio release as CC-BY 3, and brought up idea of principles for definition of open data in humanities. The principles will now hopefully be discussed in meetings around Oxford (OERC, Bodleian).
  • OKFest mentioned to de Roure, but slightly tangential to Iain’s role in OERC
  • Oxford already has quite a community for Open Knowledge in Oxford, stuff coming forward on the science side soon
  • Currently same problems in Oxford as elsewhere: not enough communication between different levels of hierarchy. Note, however, that Oxford is looking for a digital humanities champion: perhaps an internal candiate only, but this a process we should watch

OpenGLAM-dev? / Identity of this call

  • This is connected to the perennial musing about whether there are any other humanities projects lurking
  • If we move to a more dev-orientated list we must be careful that focus on projects doesn’t alienate parts of the audience.
  • A solution to this could be to cycle around between projects, and let the call work as an arena for both showcasing and feedback for specific problems
  • There was some concern that such reorientation of the call would distinguish us from GLAM but then overlap with Labs. This could be overcome by making the session accessible to a wide(r) audience.
  • Lieke told us that this wouldn’t overlap with OpenGLAM, which tends to be about policy, events and updates from specific countries
  • So perhaps we should try and organise a big quarterly call where people come and show their ideas and hack ‘together’
  • In the short term, next month’s call can test out this format with ‘open gravestones’ discussion

Open Humanities Awards

  • Info: http://openhumanitiesawards.org/
  • Wondering if any one on list is going to apply: currently no-one as of yet
  • Award has been sent to OKF channels, Europeana, OpenGLAM, OpenHum, DigHum departments and lists
  • Any further help with promotion is welcome!

Open Gravestones

  • https://github.com/todrobbins/Open-Gravestones
  • Originally discussed by James and others
  • Tod would love feedback and direction (very conceptual at this stage)
    • Open Gravestone Research doc: here
  • A first step might be extracting cemetery info from OSM and then encoding it with microdata (Schema.org) and then work out a data model for burial data
    • macro = mapping/plotting the cemeteries on the glove; micro = pinpointing specific remains (graves, urns, memorials, etc.)
  • We should organise a one-off OpenGLAM / Open Humanities chat on this project, with a bit of homework to do beforehand
    • Homework could include: look for open source projects which could contribute to this: TimeMapper for example, also PyBossa / Crowdcrafting
    • Some overlap already noted with Open Plaques, and Find A Grave

Update on tasks from last week

  • IE: To write a newsletter piece on Textus for OKF blog – todo
  • IE: Write documentation – todo
  • IE: Create an OKFest proposal – general piece? – done
  • IE: Oxford contacts? – done
  • IE: Organise next meeting – done
  • JHS: Email session proposals to the list and ask for champions – Iain for Panton Principles one (ref. gmail account) – done
  • JHS: Email request to list for datasets / tools for the Open Humanities Event – done
  • JHS: Post minutes to OH blog – done
  • ALL: Send availabilities for Open Humanities event to Lieke – Iain can’t do Saturday 27th September

Next meeting

  • Focus on OpenGravestones
  • Currently set for Tuesday 10th June, 6pm UK time, 11am Utah time for Tod

TASKS

  • IE: push current Textus update out to Labs to see if anyone can help with conflicts
  • IE / Jenny Molloy: post data from Oxford Nobel Prize hack
  • JL: Send Open humanities Award to Humanist list Done!
  • TR: Send out a call on about Open Gravestones on OpenGLAM, OpenHUM, OKLabs, perhaps with starter questions
  • JHS: Put these notes online
  • IE: Publicise next call with an overview of how it will be structured. Push to Labs, Discuss as well.

Meeting: 2014-04-17

- April 20, 2014 in minutes

PRESENT

  • James Harriman-Smith
  • Iain Emsley
  • Rufus Pollock

AGENDA

  • Tasks from last week
  • Update on Textus
  • Open Knowledge brand changes
  • OKCon progress
  • Open Knowledge Wiki
  • Reorganising Open Humanities WG

Tasks from last week

  • IE: To write a newsletter piece on Textus for OKF blog – to do
  • IE: Write documentation
  • IE: Create an OKFest proposal – general piece? – done
  • IE: Oxford contacts? – meeting arranged
  • IE: Organise next meeting – done
  • JHS: Email session proposals to the list and ask for champions – Iain for Panton Principles one (ref. gmail account) – done
  • JHS: Email request to list for datasets / tools for the Open Humanities Event – done
  • JHS: Post minutes to OH blog – done
  • ALL: Send availabilities for Open Humanities event to Lieke – Iain can’t do Saturday 27th September
  • ALL: Hunt out some datasets: Open Shakespeare, BL materials… – ?

Update on Textus

Open Knowledge brand changes

OKCon progress

  • Feedback due next month
  • Iain will discuss open humanities principles with Dave de Roure (OERC director) to try and get some momentum ahead of the conference

Open Knowledge Wiki

Refocussing the Working Group

  • Should OpenHumanities appeal to Open Glam? Yes – would allow us to recross the streams, presenting ourselves as ‘OpenGLAM dev’
  • Send out mails to OK Labs and OK GLAM for next month
  • Split the call into housekeeping and an interesting discussion of a project to attract more interest
  • More people we email, more people we get

AOB

  • Event in Oxford/online next week to hunt for public domain publications of Nobel prizewinners
  • Next meeting due for 8th May – will be a wiki-updat sprint

Tasks

  • IE: Circulate info about Oxford event
  • All: Advertise future meetings on Labs list
  • IE&JHS: Create OKF wiki profiles
  • All: Set up a wiki sprint for next meeting
  • JHS: email Iain’s availabilities to Lieke
  • IE: Organise next meeting for 8th May 2014
  • JHS: brand feedback to Katelyn
  • JHS: Publish these minutes

Meeting: 2014-02-13

- February 14, 2014 in community, minutes

Present

  • James Harriman-Smith (chair)
  • John Levin
  • Iain Emsley
  • Lieke Ploeger

Agenda

  • Update on post-sprint progress
  • How to help with continuing projects of group
  • Overlap with OpenGLAM
  • Next meeting

Tasks

  • JHS: remove calendar from website / update it to reflect our activities
  • IE: Push new work on Open Literature to Git once it is working: over the weekend
  • JHS/JL: Try and work out what has happened to the ‘links’ section on WP, and we’ll update it
  • ALL: Think about OpenGLAM and humanities collaboration
  • JHS: Tell English Faculty in Cambridge about OpenGLAM documentation (see links)
  • Lieke: email Open-hum about next GLAM meeting
  • JHS: Put these minutes online
  • IE: Chair next Skype call

Links

Minutes

  • Iain is trying to get WP plugin for Textus working: he can get stuff out but not into the store. Underlying functions appear to work, just need to find this last little thing. Should be solved soon.
  • Once this plugin funtion is working, annotation store basics will be written. Next step will be the niceties: put, delete (as well as the get and post we already have), but for this we’ll need Rufus, who should be able to test what he’s written.
  • John has done some website maintenance on both Humanities and Open Literature: fixing links and sorting spam
  • Lieke filled us in on the activities of OpenGLAM, and we had some preliminary ideas about potential collaborations. The DM2E project seems a good place for overlap with work of Open Humanities since it involves both institutions and digital humanities researchers, the latter also more representative of our own group members. DM2E is an EU initiative building tools to get researchers to work with manuscripts openly, running workshops in Germany (Berlin) and elsewhere (Vienna), it is due to finish in February 2015 so there is both time and space for collaboration. DM2E events tend to be hands-on, user-based feedback, and perhaps Open Humanities’ members could be interested in participating in such workshops.
  • It was noted that the OpenGLAM network could reallly help OpenHum publicise progress beyond the level of individual researchers.
  • A quick survey set the next Open Humanities Skype call for 20th March 2014. Iain agreed to chair.

Minutes: 28th Virtual Meeting of the OKFN Working Group for Open Bibliographic Data

- February 6, 2013 in minutes, OKFN Openbiblio

Date: February, 5th 2013, 16:00 GMT Channels: Meeting was held via Skype and Etherpad

Participants

  • Adrian Pohl
  • Karen Coyle
  • Tom Johnson
  • Tom Morris
  • On the Etherpad:
    • Peter Murray-Rust
    • Mark McGillivray

Agenda

  • As there were two new participants to the meeting (who already engaged in discussions on the mailing list though) attended the meeting everybody introduced themselves. The “new” participants were:
    • Tom Morris: “Tom Morris is the top external data contributor to Freebase and has contributed more than 1.6 million facts. He’s been a member of the Freebase community for several years. When not hacking on Freebase, Tom is an independent software engineering and product management consultant.” (taken from here, shortened and updated
    • Tom Johnson: “Thomas Johnson is Digital Applications Librarian at Oregon State University Libraries, where he works on digital curation, scholarly publication, and related metadata and software issues.

Bibframe and data licensing

  • Adrian started a discussion on the bibframe list, see here.
  • Karen: It isn’t clear to me how BIBFRAME will be documented, and whether that documentation will be sufficient to process data. Note that RDA (the cataloging rules) is not freely available, therefore if BIBFRAME does develop for RDA there may be conflicts relating to text such as term definitions.
    • This adresses licensing of bibframe spec, not the bibliographic data but may be a problem in the future if Bibframe re-uses content from the RDA spec.
  • Tom Morris: Licensing policy seems to be orthogonal to modelling process
  • Conclusion: We’ll wait as a working group and not push the LoC further towards open data.
  • Tom Morris: We should think about lobbying for making the process more open.
  • Tom Morris: German National Library and other early experimenters of bibframe should get up their code on github to bring the development forward

Bibliographic Extension for schema.org (schemabibex)

  • See minutes of last meeting for background information.
  • The work is moving forward to create more schema.org properties for bibliographic data — but so far not including journal articles
  • Library view point predominates at schemabibex group, scientists’ view point isn’t represented
  • Karen: Somebody from the scientific community should join schemabibex or start seperate effort. <– Maybe people from scholarlyhtml?

NISO Bibliographic Meeting

  • http://www.niso.org/topics/tl/BibliographicRoadmap/
  • NISO has a grant to hold a meeting of "interested parties" relating to bibliographic data.
  • Goes back to effort of Karen Coyle and another person to include other producers of bibliographic data than libraries (publishers, scientists etc.) in developments of future standards for bibliographic data (like Bibframe).
  • See also the thread on the openbiblio list. tfmorris: As much of the information as possible should be published online.
  • Meeting will be held in March or April in Washington D.C.
  • Interested parties can participate in the initial meeting but there's no/little funding. (See this email for the proposed dates of the meeting.
  • "We are planning to have a live-stream of the event, presuming there is sufficient bandwidth at the meeting site."

BiblioHackfests

  • Peter Murray-Rust wrote before the meeting: "I'd like to run a hackfest (in AU) later this month and make Bib an important aspect. Can we pull together a "hacking kit" for such an even (e.g. examples of BibJSON, some converters, a simple BibSoup, etc."
    • Mark McGillivray responded: "yes: I will write a blog post that explains bibsoup a bit more, and we could use a google spreadsheet for simple collection of records."

BibJSON

  • Tom Morris had two questions regarding BibJSON which and Mark provided some answers on the etherpad.
  • Q: What is being done to promoted adoption?
    • MM says: "_I and others continue to use bibjson and promote it on our projects. it is now being used by the open citations project and there will be updates to bibjson.org soon with further recommendations – mostly around how to specify provenance in a bibjson record. Also we have agreed with crossref for them to output bibjson – it needs some fixes to be correct, but is just about there.
  • Q: What tool support is available? (Mendeley, Zotero, converters, etc)
    • MArk says: "The translators are currently unavailable – they will soon be put up at a separate url for translating files to bibjson which can then be used in bibsoup. Mendeley, Zotero etc can all output bib collections in formats that we can already convert, so there is support in that sense. Separating out the translators will also make it easier for people to implement their own."
  • Tim morris: There's PR value in having BibJSON listed on the https://github.com/zotero/translators
  • Ways of promoting BibJSON:
    • Articles: Tom Johnson published an article on BibJSON application in code4lib journal: http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/7949
    • Talks: e.g. at code4lib (Tom Johnson will be there and might give a lightning talk mentioning BibJSON.),
    • Adoption: CrossRef would be a great addition. Need more services like Mendeley, Zotero, Open Library, BibSonomy etc. to support BibJSON (input/output)
  • Tom Johnson asks: What is the motivation to provide BibJSON output?

Open Library

  • Speaking about BibJSON adoption we camte to talking about what will happen to the Open Library. Karen gave a short summary of what are the future plans for Open Library:
    • Open Library currently has no assigned staff resources. Open Library is being integrated into the whole Internet Archive system and may cease using the current infogami platform. It isn't clear if the same UI will be available, nor if there will be any further development in terms of features such as APIs.
    • No batches of records (LC books records or Amazon records) have been loaded since mid-2012.
    • Tom Morris is primarily interested in the data and the process to reconcile it etc. but he also emphasizes the value of the brand and the community.
    • Karen: infogami is interesting as a flexible development platform that sits on a triple store: http://infogami.org/
    • Tom Johnson: What can we do regarding Open Library?
      • Karen: Set up a mirror?
      • Make records for free ebooks available as MARC so that libraries can integrate these into their catalogue. <– Tom Morris would help with that.

Public Domain Books/authors

Minutes: 27th Virtual Meeting of the OKFN Working Group for Open Bibliographic Data

- January 10, 2013 in minutes, OKFN Openbiblio

Date: January, 8th 2013, 16:00 GMT Channels: Meeting was held via Skype and Etherpad

Participants

  • Adrian Pohl
  • Peter Murray-Rust
  • Richard Wallis

Agenda

Schemabib Extension group update

  • Links:
  • W3C community and business group, started by Richard Wallis (OCLC) in September 2012
  • Conference meeting once a month
  • Idea: Get consensus across the bibliographic community about how to extend schema.org.
  • Lightweight approach, should not compete with MARC
  • Most people interested in bibliodata come from the library community. Richard tried to extend the group to other people (publishers, scholars etc.).
  • Background: OCLC publishing Linked Data in worldcat.org using schema.org vocabulary. schema.org missed properties
  • In the end: Publish extension proposal to the public-vocabs list
  • Peter comments on schema.org: schema.org is going to work because its built by people who know how the web works
  • Currently discussion about the concept of work and instances; FRBR comes up but such a model wouldn’t make it into schema.org
  • Richard: It makes sense to publish schema.org alongside BibFrame or RDA.
  • Peter: Talking to Mark McGillivray might make sense to find out how schema.org bibdata can relate to BibJSON and the accompanying tools.

Bibframe draft data model

GOKb (Global Open Knowledgebase)

Adrian heard about this project but all he could find on the web about it was litte information: “Kuali OLE, one of the largest academic library software collaborations in the United States, and JISC, the UK’s expert on digital technologies for education and research, announce a collaboration that will make data about e-resources—such as publication and licensing information—more easily available. Together, Kuali OLE and JISC will develop an international open data repository that will give academic libraries a broader view of subscribed resources.
The effort, known as the Global Open Knowledgebase (GOKb) project, is funded in part by a $499,000 grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. North Carolina State University will serve as lead institution for the project.
GOKb will be an open, community-based, international data repository that will provide libraries with publication information about electronic resources. This information will support libraries in providing efficient and effective services to their users and ensure that critical electronic collections are available to their students and researchers.” from http://gokb.org/post/25021222983/gobkpressreleaseGOKb is … focused on global-level metadata about e-resources with the goal of supporting management of those e-resources across the resource lifecycle. GOKb does not aspire to replace current vendor-provided KB products. But it does aspire to make good data available to everybody, including existing KBs, and to provide an open and low-barrier way for libraries to access this data. Our goal is that GOKb data is permeates the KB ecosystem so that all library systems, whether ILS, ERM, KB or discovery, will have better quality data about electronic collections than they do today.” From http://kualiole.tumblr.com/post/32942331929/bib-data-is-now-more-open-what-about-knowledge-base
  • The oparticipants didn’t know much more about this initiative. Adrian will try to find out more for upcoming meetings.

Other

  • Peter briefly informed about some interesting developments: *Open citations: http://opencitations.wordpress.com/ (David Shotton, Oxford, Uk)
    • Hargreaves report: UK government says it’s legal toc mine content. See Peter’s post at [http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/12/21/opencontentmining-massive-step-forward-come-and-join-us-in-the-uk/](http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/12/21/opencontentmining-massive-step-forward-come-and-join-us-in-the-uk/]
    • Pubcrawler
    • Crossref biblio/citation data

Minutes: 26th Virtual Meeting of the OKFN Working Group for Open Bibliographic Data

- November 7, 2012 in minutes, OKFN Openbiblio

Date: November, 6th 2012, 16:00 GMT Channels: Meeting was held via Skype and Etherpad

Participants

  • Adrian Pohl
  • Karen Coyle
  • Joris Pekel
  • Jim Pitman

Agenda

ORCID launched

“ORCID makes its code available under an open source license, and will post an annual public data file under a CCO waiver for free download.” (Source: http://about.orcid.org/about/what-is-orcid.) Open Data
  • ORCID provides annual CC0 dump.
Open API
  • To try the open API point your queries to pub.orcid.org ! (Documentation says something else)
  • Query biographies example:
    • curl -H ‘Accept: application/orcid+xml’ http://pub.orcid.org/search/orcid-bio?q=pohl
    • Retrieve bio example: curl -H “Accept: application/orcid+json” “http://pub.orcid.org/0000-0001-9083-7442/orcid-bio”
Open source Linked Open Data (Much information was taken from this twitter conversation.)
  • Karen: How can this be intregrated with BibServer
  • Jim: Could OKF pick up and post periodic dumps of ORCID data? And support a BibServer over those dumps?

HathiTrust Lawsuit

See Karen’s blog post on the topic: http://kcoyle.blogspot.de/2012/10/copyright-victories-part-ii.html.
  • Judge supports digitization for indexing as a fair use.
  • No decision on orphan works
  • Support for “just in case” digitization to serve sight impaired users
  • Support for digitization for preservation

OKFN labs for cultural activities

  • Background: Restructuring of OKF
  • Projects and tools are now pulled into OKFN labs, which will mainly focus on government and financial data: http://okfnlabs.org/
  • Rather than “orphan” the other projects, there is now another lab in development for those, including Bibserver.
  • Example projects/code and blog posts that woul find their place at this “open culture lab”:
  • Joris, Sam and Etienne Posthumus working on this. Please propose projects to Joris and Sam and they can help.
  • Suggest: organize “code days” for bibliographic data

W3C working group on biblio extension to schema.org

Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) Standard

MISC

  • May merge some developer lists into one, which are now scattered. openbiblio-dev could be included in this.
  • We talked for a short time about ResourceSync effort to provide standard for syncing web resources: http://www.niso.org/workrooms/resourcesync/

To Dos

  • Adrian will try to find time for a seperate post on ORCID

Minutes: 25th Virtual Meeting of the OKFN Working Group for Open Bibliographic Data

- September 5, 2012 in BibServer, event, Events, minutes, OKFN Openbiblio

Date: September, 4th 2012, 15:00 GMT Channels: Meeting was held via Skype and Etherpad

Participants

  • Peter Murray-Rust
  • Naomi Lillie
NB Karen Coyle apologies due to attendance at DublinCore conference

Agenda

As there was just PeterMR and me attending this call, we abandoned any formal agenda and had a very pleasant chat discussing PeterMR’s engagements and the upcoming OKFestival. PeterMR has been presenting various Bibliographic tools (including BibSoup) at a number of events lately, including VIVO12, and will do so at the upcoming Digital Science 2012 in Oxford. We discussed support for the existing tools we have in the Open Knowledge Foundation, in terms of person-resource and funding, and the importance of BiBServer as an underlying tool for much of the work to be done in and around Open Bibliography and Access. OKFest is less than 2 weeks away now and there is so much potential here for collaboration and idea generation… We agreed we are very excited and looking forward to meeting the pillars of Open society as well as those brand-new to this world which will only grow in influence and importance. Now is the time to embrace Open! There were no particular actions, but it was helpful to consider how we can make a difference on the world of bibliography, for OKFN and GLAM institutions in general (ie galleries, libraries, archives and museums). To join the Open Bibliography community sign up here – you may also be interested in the Open Access Working Group which is closely aligned in its outlook and aims.

Minutes: 24th Virtual Meeting of the OKFN Working Group for Open Bibliographic Data

- August 7, 2012 in JISC OpenBib, minutes, OKFN Openbiblio

Date: August, 7th 2012, 15:00 GMT Channels: Meeting was held via Skype and Etherpad

Participants

  • Jim Pitman
  • Karen Coyle
  • Naomi Lillie

Agenda

JISC Open Biblio 2 project coming to close

  • Blog-post write-up of project being finished this week, Mark MacGillivray reporting back to JISC in late September
  • Further funding being explored mainly in terms of related work

ISBNdb http://isbndb.com/

  • Similar to BibJSON
  • Uses other sources, has no explicit license / restrictions
  • API will give 500 returns a day
  • Jim’s example: http://isbndb.com/d/person/pitman_jim/books.html
    • author identity is not working very well – this example contains a book that isn’t Jim’s
  • There is no record without an ISBN – seems to be no information from pre-1970
  • Claims to have 7million books but only 2m authors – FAQs state that records are gleaned from different libraries so duplication is likely
  • Open Library is possibly a better source

Karen’s most recent blog: http://kcoyle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/fair-use-deja-vu.html

  • “The argument that Google has made from the beginning of its book scanning project is that copying for the purpose of providing keyword access to full texts is fair use”
    • HathiTrust has been in court to defend the storing and searching of metadata

Actions:

BiblioHack: Day 2, part 2

- June 14, 2012 in BibServer, Data, event, Events, JISC OpenBib, jiscopenbib2, minutes, News, OKFN Openbiblio, Talks, wp1, wp2, wp3, wp4, wp5, wp6, wp7, wp8, wp9

Pens down! Or, rather, key-strokes cease! BiblioHack has drawn to a close and the results of two days’ hard labour are in:

A Bibliographic Toolkit

Utilising BibServer Peter Murray-Rust reported back on what was planned, what was done, and the overlap between the two! The priority was cleaning up the process for setting up BibServers and getting them running on different architectures. (PubCrawler was going to be run on BibServer but currently it’s not working). Yesterday’s big news was that Nature has released 30 million references or thereabouts – this furthers the cause of scholarly literature whereby we, in principle, can index records rather than just corporate organisations being able / permitted to do so. National Bibliographies have been put on BibSoup – UK (‘BL’), Germany, Spain and Sweden – with the technical problem character encodings raising its head (UTF8 solves this where used). Also, BibSoup is useful for TEXTUS so the overall ‘toolkit’ approach is reinforced! Open Access Index Emanuil Tolev presented on ACat – Academic Catalogue. The first part of an index is having things to access – so gathering about 55,000 journals was a good start! Using Elastic Search within these journals will give list of contents which will then provide lists of articles (via facet view), then other services will determine licensing / open access information (URL checks assisted in this process). The ongoing plan is to use this tool to ascertain licensing information for every single record in the world. (Link to ACat to follow). Annotation Tools Tom Oinn talked about the ideas that have come out of discussions and hacking around annotators and TEXTUS. Reading lists and citation management is a key part of what TEXTUS is intended to assist with, so the plan is for any annotation to be allowed to carry a citation – whether personal opinion or related record. Personalised lists will come out of this and TEXTUS should become a reference management tool in its own right. Keep your eye on TEXTUS for the practical applications of these ideas! Note: more detailed write-ups will appear courtesy of others, do watch the OKFN blog for this and all things open… Postscript: OKFN blog post here Huge thanks to all those who participated in the event – your ideas and enthusiasm have made this so much fun to be involved with. Also thanks to those who helped run the event, visible or behind-the-scenes, particularly Sam Leon. Here’s to the next one :-)