You are browsing the archive for okfnau.

OKF (Australia) Board Meeting

- April 24, 2014 in board meeting, Featured, govhack, healthhack, News, OGP, okfnau, Open Government Partnership, Open Knowledge Foundation

“A Season for Open Knowledge Advocacy in Australia” was kicked off last night with the first of five board meetings for the newly minted members of this years Open Knowledge Foundation Board. The next Board Meeting will be on June 25th at 6pm (Melbourne Time), the public broadcast and a public forum chat window will be announced via our twitter: https://twitter.com/OKFNau Below are some highlight from the Boards call last night:
  • Chairman Nicholas Gruen alludes to a forthcoming report on how Australia has fallen behind the economic advantages of Open Data.
  • Shadow Chairs Dr. Fiona Tweedie and Dr. Maia Sauren request further “Health Hack” events to take place around the country building on the previous successful #HealthHack which took place at the end of last year.  The pattern which GovHack has established as a national event provides real opportunities to further the open cause beyond the government sector, including Open Health Data for the Health Sector, Open Scholarship for the Academic Sector, etc.
  • Secretary to the Board, Ana Belgun updated the Board on the ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ which is being setup by NICTA to be signed by the Boards of OKF-Global and OKF-Australia.
  • Webmaster for OKF Australia Steven De Costa provided an update on GovHack, and a discussion around the importance of a ‘Red Carpet’ event which the OKF Board would like to see awards given to not only GovHack winners but champions and ambassadors around Australasia who are furthering the Open Knowledge cause.
  • Chairman Nicholas Gruen will be attending the Open Knowledge Festival in Germany to meet with other international Open Knowledge Advocates.
  • Shadow Chair Dr. Fiona Tweedie will be attending the ‘Open Government Partnership’ Summit.
  • Discussion on recruiting more Ambassadors along the lines of what Melbourne has achieved (7 Ambassadors -both local and topic- are now regularly pushing forward Open in Melbourne and abroad).  Melbourne challenges its sister chapters to do the same.
  • Chair of the OKF Working Group for the GovHack Community, Pia Waugh will further update the Board on opportunities for recruiting new Ambassadors through GovHack.
The next Board Meeting will be on June 25th at 6pm (Melbourne Time) Public Broadcast of OKF (Australia) Board Meeting =====================================================
AGENDA:
Open Knowledge Foundation Australia board Meeting 24 April 2014.
Agenda
  1. Welcome from the Chair
  2. Update on recent change to board membership: active members, advisory members
  3. Update on progress of MOU with OKF Central
  4. Update on upcoming & recent events around Australia and any requests for support [suggest this to be standing item - maia]
  5. Funding for local chapters and activities: Pia Waugh has advised that they expect $5k-10k to be available post GovHack to support local groups. How should groups apply for this funding and how should it be allocated, given the uneven levels of activity at present?
  6. Contact with related groups (Creative Commons, EFA, AOASG, G20 (Qld?) etc): Suggestion that the Board should contact groups with similar interests in Australia to introduce ourselves and indicate that we are interested in cooperation not competition
  7. OKFN New Zealand: How should we interact with the Open groups in NZ, is there any interest in developing links or forming a Au/NZ partnership?
  8. OK Festival attendance/ sponsorship: There have been enquiries about attending OK Fest in Germany and whether we are able to provide any travel bursaries
  9. Open Government partnership (email from Peter Timmins): Peter Timmins got in contact and asked what, if anything, OKFNau is planning to do to forward
  10. Any other business; a.) Ana visiting Flanders in Melbourne on 15 May to do Secretary duties handover.
  11. Dates for Board Calls (all at 6pm): June 25th, Aug 27th, Oct 29th, {Nov “end of season” wrapup meeting}
  12. Website updates
  13. Close
 ==================================================================
NOTES (Secretary to the Board: Ana Belgun, tech support David F. Flanders):
Welcome to the Open Knowledge Foundation Australia Board Meeting – welcome from the chair of the board
Attending: David Flanders, Maia Sauren, James Kliemt, Steven De Costa, Ana Belgun, Fiona Tweedie, Nicholas Gruen
going live – starting broadcast at 6:03pm
Agenda item no. 1:
  • welcome everybody
  • board membership update
Agenda item no. 2:
  • OKF Au has a Board: Chair – N Gruen, Co-Chairs: Fiona and Maia (time sharing) – heavily involved in OKFN
  • Actual Board Members and Advisory members
Agenda item no. 3:
  • MoU with OK Central – Ana and Michael wil provide an update; recent discussion with Laura James CEO of OKFN Central
  • Ok Australia will have an agreement with OK F Central (UK)
  • there is any issue with the activity of OK Australia; there is a need to formalise the structure of the organisation to develop its activities an and fund raising
  • MoU: how is it that OK Au operate; MoU will bring agreement to relationship between OKFau and OKFCentral, and will give OKFau ability to behave as legal entity, e.g. fundraise. NICTA kindly and generously perform secreterial & admin functions.  MoU first draft coming next week? – been difficult to get a hold of decisionmakers over holidays
  • NICTA and eGov cluster is working on options available for Ok Australia to become a Chapter of OK Central
Agenda item no.4:
  • Mark from Omidyar? asked Lateral Economics to see if they can bring up Open Data as a topic around G20, as an argument to increase economic activity ? output ? by 2%
  • Gov releasing data is a very good resource; compelling report to give Omidyar; open data = large agenda and Lateral Economics is supposed to come up with an analysis of that; the report will be open?
  • Should have the Board of OKF taken into consideration this type of work? maybe it could create a consolidation of the work done of OKF  in the community
  • David and Fiona had a previous conversation with OK Central about this report and it was considered that it wasn’t the type of work OKF could take at that stage; none of the board members at that time had the time and energy to complete that (not turning into  lobby group before we had the capacity)
  • Maybe in the future, when we are better organised as a group, we could take on such work
  • It is a good basis for future discussion about what is our OK Australia role
  • Fiona would go to the Open Government Partneship Conference in Indonesia; we would like to advance the Open Data agenda in relation to G20 (http://www.opengovpartnership.org/asia-pacific-regional-meeting-may-6-7-2014)
  • Worth investigating why Australia is not yet part of the Open Government Partnership; one of the leading countries in open data internationally
  • Nicholas would like to mention that ‘turning up’ at G20 and promoting the open data is a great opportunity to influence; he will be present in Brisbane during G20 event; he would hold an un-conference type of event
  • GovHack: meeting last night 23 April; things are on track from the national perspective; maybe at the end of GovHack it would be possible to contribute 5-10K towards the OK Australia budget; already 300 participants registered so far; most local ambassadors are already committed to organising GovHack in their cities
  • Melbourne events: Data Hack?  recently ; finalised a date 25 Oct  for Health Hack event; last year was successful and if more people are interested in organising in their cities, that would be great; Community Drinks – 21 May; Ambassadors Meeting – ? May
  • Omidyar has been commissioned by OK Central to see how Chapters are organised and what they do etc.
  • Maia has provided information on what the OK Au group is doing in Australia
  • Maia and Fiona have done an amazing job in recruiting ambassadors and maybe that could be encouraged in other cities as well
Agenda Item no. 5:
  • Fiona: how post-GovHack money can help the local groups organise events; what will be the most equitable way to distribute the funds and organise events? what is the best way to divide the money?
  • Maia: it might be good to have the occasional meetings with the ambassadors to share ideas and experiences (we have templates for how to run some events)
  • Steve: 1) nominations and requests for funding might be a way; requests would be accompanied by blog posts about the events; 2) smaller $ to help support small events – like subsidies to keep the community going; 3) awards a week before the Red CarpectGov Hack for the best contribution (not big $, but big recognition)
  • David: where is the Red Carpet and maybe the awards could be OKF AU awards
  • Steve: now there is work done with budgets, sships etc. There is a petition from Brisbane to organise it there; once that is confirmed, we can discuss about awards
  • Steve or Pia to report on what is confirmed about Red Carpet
  • Maia: 10k may last a year (based on the experience we have here in Melbourne): inform the board and ask for support
  • David: participate at a Board Meeting and convince that the event should be funded; definitely the blog and photos should be the default
  • Nicholas Gruen: it’s like a policy/procedure – goes to the Board which deliberates
  • Steve: will draft a list of options
Agenda Item no.6:
  • identify organisations which coould cross collaborate
  • Steve: the size of the organisations is not very important
  • Cross endorsement policy – on the website – to communicate the position – Maia will action on this
Agenda Item no.7:
  • NZ partneship: there are very interesting groups there; maybe not formally organised as OKF ANZ yet
  • Fiona: pursuing any opportunity to collaborate informally might be a better idea that create a formal organisation, at leats until we consolidate our Au organisation
  • Maia; would suggest the groups to consider the OK Au in their activities
  • Nick: NZ doing interesting open knowledge stuff, e.g. http://www.opendataresearch.org/content/2013/535/get-data-open-data-barometer-2013
Agenda Item no.8:
  • OK Festival in Berlin: Nicholas Gruen will attend
  • Fiona: maybe the budget should be invested in the local groups rather than spending on the international travel
  • David: if somebody would devoute their time in going and representing the OK Aus would be great
  • Steve: maybe could be an Australian contingent who could represent the OK AU
  • David: to be contacted by the people who go there to introduce to the contacts in Europe; Nicholas Gruen will be introduced by David F and also anybody else should send a bio and their intentions when going there
  • Steve: maybe we could find an organisation which could sponsor somebody;
  • N Gruen: agreed
Agenda Item no.9:
  • as an organisation, being busy with local events, and cannot dedicate time to respond; Steve will action the response
Agenda Item no.10:
  • 15 May – possible visit Michael and Ana – to meet with David, Maia, Fiona, Nicholas
  • Board meetings: Last Thursday of every second month; 6-7pm
  • December could be replaced by Jul-Aug around GovHack
  • No need to have an extra meeting in Jul
  • Wait until Oct and see if we need another meeting in December
Agenda Item no.11
  • Website updates: Steve is the web master; he will send updates and report at each Board meeting
  • Thank you
  • Bye
 ==================================
Public OKF Pad Chat Window:

Flanders:17:03 This chat window is for general public comments

Flanders:17:17 this is the general public

Flanders:17:17 chat window

Flanders:17:19 here

Ana:17:19 test

Flanders:17:19 general public

Flanders:17:19 Maia will watch this chat window

Flanders:17:19 to pass through questions

James:17:19 All of this page is public

Flanders:17:24 public chat window

Flanders:17:56 this chat window is fo rthepublic

Steven De Costa:18:03shoutout if you are following the public chat :)

Fiona:18:04 Hello there :)

maia:18:05 hello unnamed :)

Steven De Costa:18:06 Hi Folks :) Add your name via the ‘show users’ at the top right

Steven De Costa:18:06 if you want to ;)

Steven De Costa:18:12 Clear :)

Flanders:18:17 fantastic to hear Nic’s announcement re economic arguments

maia:18:23 This is the conference Fiona is invited speaker at:http://www.opengovpartnership.org/asia-pacific-regional-meeting-may-6-7-2014

Steven De Costa:18:27 Take a look athttp://www.govhack.org/

Steven De Costa:18:28Venues (so far):http://www.govhack.org/register-2014/

Flanders:18:28 healthHack is going to happen the 25th of october!

maia:18:30healthhackmelb.com – if you’re interested in organising in your city please get in touch

Flanders:18:33 There has been real success in events which are pan-Australia a la GovHack…

Flanders:18:33 a model there to do the same for things like HealthHack?

Flanders:18:34 +1 Steve re reciprocation

maia:18:34 would LOVE govhack-like healthhack!

Flanders:18:34 proof of the pudding is the blog post and pictures after the event

Flanders:18:35 love the golden globes / red carpet event idea!

Steven De Costa:19:00thanks to all!

===================================
Board Chat Window Conversation:
To list all available commands enter “/?”.
Maia Sauren joined group chat.
Maia Sauren
4:43 PM
brb getting headphones
me
4:48 PM
Ana Belgun joined group chat.
James Kliemt joined group chat.
me
5:01 PM
Ana Belgun left group chat.
Ana Belgun joined group chat.
Ana Belgun
5:16 PM
test
me
5:17 PM
this chat window is only shown to the board members
Ana Belgun
5:19 PM
this is for board
Steven De Costa joined group chat.
me
5:23 PM
yes we were looking at it
Youtube link here:
Fiona Tweedie joined group chat.
Ana Belgun
5:55 PM
Hi Fiona
me
5:56 PM
this chat window is for the board only
Nicholas Gruen joined group chat.
me
6:01 PM
chat window
Nicholas Gruen
6:01 PM
yes
me
6:01 PM
Steven De Costa
6:01 PM
waves at nic
Nicholas Gruen
6:04 PM
Waves back
Steven De Costa
6:07 PM
btw – Pia gives her apology, but she isn’t ‘on the board’, as such. will mention under other business.
Fiona Tweedie
6:10 PM
Flanders my connection is a bit wonky – might be better to leave camera off
me
6:11 PM
I’ll monitor
Fiona Tweedie joined group chat.
Fiona Tweedie left group chat.
me
6:25 PM
we are almost half way through the call.
Nicholas Gruen
6:28 PM
Can anyone fill me in on the difference between this chat and the chat comments that come up in black boxes on my browser – and then disappear?
Steven De Costa
6:29 PM
this one is Board only
other is public
Nicholas Gruen
6:29 PM
OK
Where do I find the record of the other chat – all I get is the occasoinal comment that comes up and then fades away – leaving no trace!
Steven De Costa
6:30 PM
i think, click to expant the chat – bottom right of that window
Fiona Tweedie
6:30 PM
@Nicholas open it in the bottom RH corner of the notepad
Brisbane
me
6:41 PM
agreed
twenty minutes left
Ana Belgun
6:41 PM
For Steve: there is a model of small grants on Linux Australia
same issue – funding events and activities
me
6:41 PM
we’ve had success in this here in Melb
Nicholas Gruen
6:42 PM
Thanks Fiona
me
6:42 PM
as Pia used to say: we are an upsidedown umbrella community
wherever two or more are gathered
+1
do we have named NZ conacts
are there NZ ambassadors
its easy for us to call ourselves OKF Austrasia
Nicholas Gruen
6:45 PM
NZNEW ZEALAND is ahead of us on 2 league ladders of open knowledge
me
6:45 PM
interesting
Nicholas Gruen
6:45 PM
Fiona Tweedie
6:54 PM
Also check Sean Parnell’s twitter stream
Article is paywalled but others may have access
me
6:58 PM
2 minutes left

Open Community Drinks – Melbourne, March 13!

- February 13, 2014 in australia, event, Featured, News, okfnau

Did you come to our drinks night at 1000 Pound Bend in January? If you missed it, here’s your chance! The first drinks night was such a success we’re doing it again. Come along to the ThoughtWorks office (23/303 Collins Street) on the 13th of March at 6pm to chat with people about the awesome Open things you’re doing. See you there! Edit: finally, a Meetup event!